About My Project

Thursday, June 21, 2012

My mom thought that I should put something on my blog about my Senior Project and maybe some people would be willing to help me.


So in order to graduate from my high school we must complete a Graduation Project 'Senior Project'. It must consist of 20+ hours of volunteer work. And then it has to be presented to the teacher in charge of the project&also any other teacher you choose.


So my project? Well. I'm calling it K.S.P, simply for "Kelsey's Senior Project" (on a sidenote ur prolly wondering why its kelsey and not jean (when i filmed i said jean- i thought i'd be better not to say my real name but its just my middle name haha). well i didnt want to use kelsey so i decided to use my middle name which is jean! haha- noone really calls me that i just like jean:) it was my great grandma's name too haha sooo anywayyy) So what's my project?- cause the name doesnt really tell much. haha.


I'm collecting new&gently used purses, filling them with everyday products (such as- makeup, lotion, brushes, perfume, nail polish, body wash, shampoo&conditioner, skin care products, hair spray, hair ties, ect.) and then donating them to womens shelters to help women in need.


So far I've donated 27 purses to a womens shelter near me. And I have 15 more filled purses I have yet to donate. And I have at least 75 purses that need to be filled still.

I choose this project at first just because I knew I would get the hours and it would help women in my community. However, as more people come to me; donating items, and telling my how amazing they think my project is, its starting to mean much more to me than just a requirement to graduate. I’m making a impact on someone else’s life. I’m showing these women that even though they are going through a tough times, there are good people who want to help them and support them through it all. With these purses I hope to help improve someone’s life and empower them as they strive to make their lives better.

Think about it. These women leave their homes with what they have on their backs and what they can carry or throw into a garbage bag and take with them. They dont care about having items, they care about just getting out. So you wouldnt have that new wii, all those games, your nitendo DS, no magazines, no makeup collection, no favorite shirts because they wouldnt fit into the backpack, no high heels, ect. All those things wouldnt exsist.

My dad calls me materialistic. And maybe I am, I have a tendency to want clothes and makeup. But ya know if thats what makes me happy? Then so be it, because those things make me happy.

It hasnt really hit me until this moment. That I have so much to give. I am a fortunate girl and I dont think I take that into consideration as much as I should. I have so much to give. I want to live a good long life helping others and being a role model for others. When i get home i'm going to really apply this to my life and get rid of the clutter and "live simply so others can simply live."  All those items? in the end they dont matter. My prada purse? Wont matter. My makeup collection? Wont matter. what matters is- helping others and doing good for others and being a good role model. Remember that post I did wear I talked about the book I read on Minimalism? well. I want to really apply that to my life. In the end the items wont matter. They really really wont. It's what you do, and did, with your life that matters. I challenge YOU to apply this to your life and get rid of the unneeded items and help other people. because the items won't matter in the end. they are just items.

So if you would like to help me? And donate a purse or so, and some everyday items for in them, or both if you would like, please leave a comment with your email and I will email you and we will chat, and then exchange adresses and all that good stuff, for the purses&items to be sent to me and then going into the purses and being donated. Here is a list of items that could be sent for in the purses. And if there are other items you would like to send- be my guest:) It would definitely be welcome!

I would appreciate donations of purses, makeup bags, and any of the products listed below (and others if you wish to add something else) for in the purses.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! J


List of items for in purses: (this is not necessarily in any specific order)
* = should be in a range of skin colors for the different ethnics of the women that come into the shelters



Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Body scrub
Body wash
Acne pads
Facial cleansers
Pads
Tampons
Pantiliners
Night crème
Moisturizer- Non tinted
Neutral eye shadows
Mascara
Eyeliner
Coverup*
Foundation*
Makeup remover
Deodorant
Wallets
Coin-purses
Necklaces- Simple
Nail polish- Neutral Colors
Hairspray
Volumizer
Dry shampoo
Shampoo
Conditioner
Brushes
Combs
Bobby pins
Hair ties
Chapsticks
Lip sticks*
Mini emergency sewing kits
Perfume samples
Lip gloss
Pens/pencils
Mini notebooks
Contact/address books
Mini calendar
Travel packs of tissues
Tic-tacs

 &yeaahh, i know this is a more serious post and not like fashion related and beauty and such but ya know, I want to spread the word about what I'm doing, and hey- no better place than my beautiful blog looked at by my lovely followers:))

XOXO



Heres a couple pictures of some of the donations- layed out on my bedroom floor to be organized into boxes. Theses pictures are taken by me! You can see my feet in the bottom one haha:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)